Tuesday 12 February 2008

Little Brown Footballs.

I think as I may have mentioned before I do listen to BBC Radio 5 (Live) quite a lot.

To and from work, occasionally at work but primarily on a Saturday.

This Saturday gone I was slightly less than impressed to find that much of the Eamonn Holmes show had been given over to an extended interview with the Gordon Brown discussing sport and stuff.

Holmes, hardly the most incisive interviewer in the world, was at his most fawning and sycophantic best with the Dark One. Obviously the BBC now feel the need to do their bit to help with the rehabilitation of Gordon’s reputation as a decent (and electable) human being.

I have to admit that I wasn’t paying a great deal of attention. Parental duties and household chores meant that my listening to this shameless promotion of our leader was sporadic at best.

Blah, blah, Raith Rovers, terraces, sport’s important, I was good at it, shame about the eye etc etc.

However there were a few moments that did capture my attention.

Holmes, at his obsequious best pressed Brown to say which, if any, English Football League Clubs he followed.

The dark one muttered but then went on to say that as a young man he had been very fond of Tottenham Hotspur but now if he had to choose it would have to be Manchester United.

Holmes, who never fails in taking the opportunity to affirm his loyalty to the 'mighty Reds' was delighted.

As an Arsenal fan I was delighted too. Never have so many prejudices been confirmed so quickly by so few .

No comments: